CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 23, 2009

Religulous

After many recommendations from parent's friends and Tyler... my family and I watched the movie Religulous. Quite honestly... I loved it. Here is the summary from imdb.com

Bill Maher interviews some of religion's oddest adherents. Muslims, Jews and Christians of many kinds pass before his jaundiced eye. Maher goes to a Creationist Museum in Kentucky, which shows that dinosaurs and people lived at the same time 5000 years ago. He talks to truckers at a Truckers' Chapel. (Sign outside: "Jesus love you.") He goes to a theme park called Holy Land in Florida. He speaks to a rabbi in league with Holocaust deniers. He talks to a Muslim musician who preaches hatred of Jews. Maher finds the unlikeliest of believers and, in a certain Vatican priest, he even finds an unlikely skeptic.

With quotes from major figureheads like Thomas Jefferson, George W. Bush and Osama Bin Laden, Bill Maher, with a Jewish-Catholic background, sets out to prove that having faith and seeking directions from God is basically ridiculous and may be due to a neurotic disorder. Interviewing Christians, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Mormons, scientists, gays, and atheists, he cites that the number of non-believers is increasing in North America. He attempts to prove his point by citing inconsistencies in the Bible, the controversial birth of Lord Jesus, the inability of religious heads to account for His absence for over 18 years, as well as the absence of any concrete evidence that disproves the theory of evolution.

Fantastic movie for the relgion questioners such as I. Loved it. Don't worry... it didn't forget about the mormons. haha.

Favorite quotes:

  • Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking. It's nothing to brag about. And those who preach faith and enable and elevate it are intellectual slave holders, keeping mankind in a bondage to fantasy and nonsense that has spawned and justified so much lunacy and destruction.
  • Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings who don't have all the answers to think that they do. Most people would think it's wonderful when someone says, 'I'm willing Lord, I'll do whatever you want me to do.' Except that since there are no gods actually talking to us, that void is filled in by people with their own corruptions and limitations and agendas.

Anyhow. I just thought I would tell about it. I loved it. It's completely what I've thought about religion since I tried to understand it.... because I don't understand it... at all. The words I have bolded are exactly what this whole thing seems to be to me.

That is all. I love you.
Randi Lynn Puffy Face
(see facebook pictures)

6 awesome comment(s):

Randi Lynn said...

Btw. I don't want any comments telling me about your church, no matter who you are.

Not to be rude... but I have the right to keep my opinions and beliefs. And if they don't agree with yours... so?

But if you would like to leave a comment other than trying to convert me, judge me, or critize me... please... do so. :)

berto said...

Strictly NOT believing in religion is about as bad as blindly following it. Open your mind to possibilities, whatever they may be. That's my take on religion.

Now, don't get me wrong, I basically agree with everything in your blog, but I'm just saying that getting after people for being "close-minded" and believing in God is being just as bad as they are.

Love,
Berto

P.S. Nice face. haha. And don't assume everyone has facebook...

Neil said...

I agree with berto on all parts on this one. that being said... i am converting you, judging you, and criticizing you... only not really
-neil

berto said...

P.S. Watch TheAmazingAtheist on youtube, btw. He's hilarious.

Love,
Berto

Randi Lynn said...

I am open minded to religion...
Just so far to me... none of them even make any sense why to believe in them. If I find a religion that actually makes sense... then I will become to that religion...

but until then, this is what I believe.

Neil said...

btw i watched that movie. And even I can see that that its kind of a bunch of crap. Thats coming from a person who hates organized religion 99.9% of the time. The guy definitely looked for the idiots of the respective religions, cut them off whenever they made counter arguments (or just left like with the crazy jewish man) and totally edited the move in order to make everyone seem wrong. thats just how i see the movie.