CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Eyeballs... Too advanced


Tonight I went to the region pasta party at the Brown's amazing home. I had a wonderful time until the part I was taking two of the swimmers home. All was going well until we started talking about how everyone is a genetic mutation. My sister brought up that blue eyes is a huge mutation because our ape decedents and monkeys now didn't/don't have blue eyes themselves. One of the kids I was taking home seriously argued that we couldn't have come from apes. Not one little single ounce in him believed in evolution. Yes, I've heard some believe in Adam and Eve and then evoltion happening after them... that's understandable I suppose. After telling him that, hey... yeah the scientists haven't found SO much evidence... not. This was his response... "Evolution couldn't have happened because the eyeball is so advanced. Only God could have created something so advanced." Wow.

I know some of you are just thinking I'm being anti-religion or whatnot. Think what you must... I don't force you to read my blog. It's really quite incredible how much this is bugging me though. This kid is the son of some pastor to some religion (he got mad when I called him a Mormon...) he has been "brainwashed" by his parents to believe what THEY believe. I love that my parents have told me about the religions they grew up with (Dad-Catholic, Mom-Mormon.) and have never forced me into anything like grandparents did to them. I am able to believe what I want to believe and nothing else.

So I hope when you have children and they ask you about God and that sort of stuff that you not tell them "this is what happened" but "this is what we believe". I hope you let your kids have the freedom of believing what they will and that you don't judge them if it is different that your own. I also hope that you stay open minded... because maybe what you believe now will sound less and less true in the future.

That is all. I feel lots better now. I was so frustrated and tense but writing this helped a lot. I know that my kids won't turn out like the boy in the backseat of my car tonight and be heavily brainwashed. Just because I don't necessarily believe in religion doesn't mean that my kids will think the same...

3 awesome comment(s):

Neil said...

so^10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 (that a google i believe) true

Edward said...

Well, Mormons actually do believe in Evolution just not as the origin of Man kind...and I am offended that you called him a mormon because you felt he was brainwashed. I am a mormon because I think its true, nobody has forced me into anything. Love you Randi, but I have a problem with this callous against mormons.

Randi Lynn said...

I understand that you disagree, my dearest friend. But in my many years of living in Utah (yes, I actually have lived in other places) I have noticed that the LDS community consists of more "brainwashing" and forcing of religion than not. I'm not saying that is how you or your family is, I'm saying that's mostly how people of your religion are. This blog isn't bashing the LDS religion, or any religion for that matter, it's stating my opinion of evolution with religion and pressure of these opinions on their children. That is all.