CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 17, 2010

for baby sister.



I'm coaching the high school swim team. I love it. So much. If were a patient person, I would say that it's what I could do for a long time. (The pay kinda draws me to it too.) We went to St. George this weekend for two meets. My sister's last season is coming to an end and wants my backstroke record so badly. Her goal her freshman year was to be faster than me and now she's achieving it. Leo told me at the beginning of that season that she would be just because she is better built for swimming than I. Her 50 free came to a 27.01... my fastest that I ever got was a 27.69. Her next swim: 100 backstroke. Every time she hops into the pool to start the race, you can see her whisper to herself my record that stands unbroken. I love how dedicated she is to getting it. It amazes me. Without taper (rest to go the fastest of the season) she wasn't supposed to come close, but she pushed through this race with everything. She hits the pad and gets a 1:09.67... she doesn't break the 1:08.07 that I got last year... but drops three seconds and makes a new personal best. I'm left speechless on the other side of the pool with the other coaches. Tears of joy start filling my eyes. For the last few weeks I started doubting the possibilities of her breaking the record till now. I try to keep it together but all fails. Steve makes me run over to give her a hug. She stands with a huge smile and shaking from excitement, a feeling I think all swimmers can relate to. I turn her around and hug her as tears flow down my face. I cannot explain why or how I was so proud and amazed, but I was.

I know this was probably lame to read... sorry. But I've been kinda going through a stupid depression phase much like state last year when realizing it was all over. I miss swimming and everything about it. This helped me. It's hard to say to have a favorite while being a coach... but she is my favorite swimmer. No matter how much I say I hate her... I love her.

Thanks for reading if you really did. Most likely you're like Tyler and think I'm being over emotional and weird. But it's okay. My blog is like my journal... but a lot less private.
Love, Randi

2 awesome comment(s):

Britta Marie said...

I really like this. And I don't think you're being overly emotional. No matter how much we say our siblings bug the crap out of us, we still love them. So much, it is surprising sometimes.

Morgan said...

I really love this, and really love you. I love when things come out of us that we never realized or expected. It teaches us so much more about ourselves and about other people too, I think.